Monday, July 30, 2007

P.O.P.

I am known to many friends and family as "The Crockpot Queen". During the 30 years of marriage I have gone thru at least 8 crockpots and I know I will soon be buying new ones. I believe every busy person needs a good crockpot and needs to learn how to use it.

At one time in our marriage, my husband was a truck driver and worked very long hours and then before his retirement he worked 19 years in a plant which was rotating shift work. I learned very early that in order to hold down a full time job, be a mother, maintain a household and spend time with my husband when he was off I had to be prepared at all times. I developed P.O.P. (Plan Organize Prepare). This plan has been shared with many and does work. Would you like to be able to forget drive through fast foods and be able to come home from work and have a real Dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less?

PLAN
  • Sit down and plan your menu for 1 to 4 weeks.
  • Plan what day you will set aside for preparation (mine was always a Saturday since I work Monday through Friday).
  • Look at your menu and make another list from your menu of items you will need to prepare the meals. Be sure to add Freezer Bags and Heavy Duty Foil to your list. I also use the disposible Bowls too.
  • Purchase your groceries the night before you cook. This way you don't have to freeze your meat and wait for it to thaw.

ORGANIZE

  • Begin bright and early.
  • With your menu in front of you Begin.
  • Start by doing all your prep work at once (chopping and preparing ALL your vegetables you will be using such as onions, celery, carrots, etc.) and putting them into separate bowls.
  • Decide which cooking methods you will be using such as crockpot, oven, stove top, etc. and getting each of them out and ready.

PREPARE

  • Start Cooking.

For instance...I am preparing for 1 week and my menu consists of Roast Beef, Spaghetti, Baked Chicken, Chicken Fettecini, Meat Loaf, Chicken Pot Pie, Pork Chops with Apples and Split Pea Soup.

  • I would season to taste and put my roast in the crock pot or oven, my chicken in the oven to start. I would mix my meat loaf, put it into my meatloaf pans. If there is room in my oven put it in to bake. Put my chicken on to boil for the chicken pot pie. Start grilling my chicken breasts for the Fettecini..... You get the picture.
  • Next as your meals are complete, make sure you let them cool to room temperature, package them for the freezer in appropriate containers.
  • Freeze.

TO PREPARE YOUR MEAL

  • You must remember to take it out of the freezer the morning before you leave for work. Put in in the refrigerator to thaw all day.
  • When you get home you can either just heat in the microwave or on top of the stove, quickly add a salad or some type of vegetable with it and you are ready to sit down to eat in 30 minutes or less.
  • Clean up is also minimal because you have already washed all the Preparation dishes on your cooking day.

It is amazing what a little time invested (1 Full Day) in organizing and preparing ahead can mean to The Busy Person. Less stress and less time in the kitchen can mean more time with the family, time to soak in a hot bubble bath, time to read or just relax.

It is also a great way to teach your children how to cook...Get them involved in your P.O.P. and make it a family activity.

No comments: