Tuesday, July 31, 2007

What is Success

When you think of a successful person, what immediately comes to your thoughts? Do you think of the CEO of a large corporation, a Monarch in a foreign land, winning the lottery or perhaps a movie star?

According to Webster, success is "Gaining of wealth and fame, favorable outcome, one that succeeds."

As I was reading The Purpose Driven Life's Daily Inspiration by Rick Warren, I was moved by his explanation and thoughts. "In God's eyes, the greatest heroes of the faith are not those who achieve prosperity, success, and power in this life, but those who treat this life as a temporary assignment and serve faithfully, expecting their promised reward in eternity."

Hebrews 11:13, 16
13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

I'm afraid that in our hectic pace of life we so easily forget that success in God's eyes is much different than man's thoughts. Before you assess yourself as a failure or unsuccessful, ask yourself.....

  • Have I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior and is he living in my heart?
  • Am I a joint heir with Jesus Christ?
  • Did I wake up this morning alive?
  • Do I live in America (the land of the free and the brave) where I am free to serve God?
  • When was my last meal?
  • Did I have clothes to put on this morning?
We are a blessed and successful people. Let's all try to focus on 2Corinthians 4:18 (niv) "We fix our eyes not on what is seen (tangible things), but on what is unseen (spiritual). For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

What are you doing for the Kingdom to be Successful by God's standards?

2 comments:

Fiddley - Diddley - Doo said...

Hi! i love this blog! i will add it to the ones i read every morning. thank you for being such an encouragement to me personally, and i am looking so so so forward to the recipes im sure will be on here!

love
angeloo

obispo said...

Excellent! You will excel on this venture. There are many who will look for your spirit of the encourager.

Bishop
www.marketplacefaith.biz
www.gregoryholley.com