Wednesday, August 1, 2007

HOW DO I BALANCE MY LIFE

Have you ever felt like you were on a never ending carrousel or roller coaster ride that was progressively going faster and faster and faster as it spun around? All you could think of was the old TV commercial where the woman would say “Calgon take me away”. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to soak in a hot tub water with a bath product and then all your stress go down the drain with the bath water?

Over the years I’ve heard my Pastor say many times “There Must Be Balance”. He would also ask “Who loaded your wagon?”

These thoughts bring back to my memory a Bible story I’ve heard since I was a child. The story is found in Luke 10:36-42 and is the story of two sisters, Mary and Martha. When I read this story I am reminded that my nature and natural instincts is to be a Martha, the busy one. There is no doubt in my mind that these two sisters were included in The Bible for a special purpose. That purpose is to show us the “Balance” that is needed in each of our lives. Being a Martha, I would have reacted the same way she did in verse 40 when she ask Jesus, “Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? Bid her therefore that she help me.” However, after many years of being a wife, a mother, a career woman, very actively involved in my Church I have learned some valuable lessons from these two sisters that I would like to share with you.

Recently, I was reading an article by Joyce Meyers who wrote “A life that is out of balance is a life with an open door to the enemy. Satan absolutely loves to see people living at one extreme or another because it gives him an opportunity to bring devastation into their lives.” She used “I Peter 5:8 that warns us to be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil roams around like a lion roaring (in fierce hunger), seeking someone to seize upon and devour.” “Satan can’t just devour anybody he wants, but he can devour someone who is out of balance…Too many people are under so much stress that it’s killing them, and part of the reason is because we’re a society that is driven to DO things, HAVE things, and GO places. This is the opposite of how God wants us to live. Instead of being ‘driven,’ He wants us to be led by His Spirit.”

I’ve found personally that in order to be Balanced not only must we be a Martha, but we must at the same time be a Mary by:

1. Not always saying “YES” to everything I’m asked to do. Seek God’s Will and find out what GOD wants you to do.
2. Keeping my priorities straight. Keep a Daily Planner or a Daily List.
3. Occasionally having to cut out some activities in my life and move forward. I must take inventory of my activities and pray about what GOD wants me to involve myself in. I must also acknowledge that if I am performing tasks that are robbing me of my peace and joy and only bring frustration, stress and chaos then these tasks may not be for me to perform. Matthew 11: 28-30 says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
4. Going to Church is a must. I need to have the Word of God nourishing my spirit.
5. Make time to commune with God. A time each day to read God’s Word and pray.
6. Set aside special time for myself and my family to spend time together.
7. Make sure you are getting enough rest for your body. When I am extremely tired and exhausted is when Satan attacks.

Enjoy the life that God has given you. Enjoy your family, friends and Church family. Life is too short to waste precious time running. Live, Love and Laugh.

No comments: