Tuesday, August 7, 2007

WHERE'S THE FRUIT?

One day I was talking to someone about the pecan trees in our backyard. They told me that they remembered one specific tree that yielded a double pecan. Their comment caused me to start thinking. It is the purpose of that particular pecan tree to yield that specific type of pecan, just as it is the purpose of our fig trees to yield figs in the appropriate season. Every creation of God has a purpose and he created us to produce. I’m not referring to procreation, but rather the spiritual production of fruit. My research took me to the book of Galatians.
Galatians 5:16-25
16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
24 And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
This scripture brought up new thoughts for me. If I choose to walk (live) in the flesh (old sinful nature), these are the fruits I will produce. On the other hand, if I choose to walk (live) in the spirit (new nature that God gives us) I will produce the good fruits.

What is it that causes all these good fruits to form? The key word is the same word that was verbalized to me regarding my pecan trees and that word was “Yield”. Just because a person accepts Jesus Christ as their personal Savior it doesn’t necessarily mean that all these good fruits (attributes) will suddenly appear. We expect to see fruit, but it comes with Christian Growth, Maturity and Holiness. We cannot continue to do the same things as we’ve always done them (our way). We must be obedient to God and his Word and “Yield” ourselves and our wills to him. When we allow the Holy Spirit to work in our hearts and lives each day we will begin to bear his fruit.

Matthew 7:16-18,20
“By their fruits you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit , and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit…Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.”

What kind of fruit are you yielding?

No comments: