Thursday, April 17, 2008

Now Comes New Growth

My 6 year old granddaughter had been after me to let her plant flowers in the big flower box in front of my house. The flower box was filled with red Kalanchoes and to be honest I was growing somewhat tired of looking at them too. For 2 evenings she and I worked at cleaning out the big flower box, making sure to pull the old plants roots and all up. I explained to her that we had to start fresh and new. She didn’t like removing the old plants and complained and said the dirt was stinky but I kept encouraging her to keep going because we couldn’t plant anything new until she had removed all the old plants. We then started the process of pouring in New Top Soil which meant breaking up large clumps of moist fresh dark rich soil with our hands and making sure it was spread evenly and smoothly over the entire flower box. Finally, last night it was time for the fun stuff, or at least she thought. I went down the entire length of the box and dug partial holes spaced evenly apart and would place 1 small plant in the hole until all the holes had a plant sitting in them. I then showed her how to dig the hole out to be just the right depth and gently hold the new little plant in place while covering it with soil and then gently pressing it into place.

The time had come that she had been so eagerly awaiting, to plant all colors of pretty flowers. So I went to sit on the porch swing and leave her to her fun. Soon she announced that she was finished and I went to look at her work. At the end of the box I saw where it was very obvious that she had begun to grow tired and didn’t do a very good job, so I sent her back to redo those. She was realizing that it was hard work to plant and grow something new and beautiful. I hooked up the water hose and brought it around there and of course she thought watering was the best and most fun of all. So again I left her to do the job while I sat and watched. Finally I figured everything had enough water and I turned it off and we went inside to clean up.

Right now, my life feels a lot like my planting experience with my granddaughter. What I’ve known and had for so long has been totally removed from me. Inside I literally feel an empty hole where my husband used to occupy. If I allow myself to wallow in self-pity all I see is emptiness, but I choose to look at my life like our new flower garden. Yes, God chose to take my husband home to Glory with him and to end his suffering and there are some things I am going through that is taking lots of work to get them all finalized, but God has given me a new fresh life to begin completely anew. Yes I still hurt, cry and miss my husband and my day-to-day life feels very scary at times, but God is also giving me his Peace that Passes all understanding and I know he has something very special in store for me. Just like the flowers that we planted, I must now feed and water all the new opportunities in my life so that I can produce new growth in all its brilliant color and beauty. I know I will face times of wanting to give up just like my granddaughter when she grew weary of having to go through the tedious process, but in the end, she and I can stand back and see what our work produced and enjoy every moment of it.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 “He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.”

Ps 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

Ps 18:32 It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.


Ps 138:8 The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.

Isa 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Heb. 13:21 (God will) Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: